readingdiva

ReadingDiva's Blog

Lover Reborn

Lover Reborn - J.R. Ward ~~*Originally posted @ ReadingDiva's Blog*~~

Lover Reborn is book #10 of the Black Dagger Brotherhood and one of the most expected books in the series. As many other readers, I was looking forward to get my hands on this book. The wait is finally over. I admit I don’t really know where to start; it is safe to say that I was left in such a state that I almost didn’t write this review. I was left with more questions than answers and with the feeling that I was missing something. I’ll try to leave spoilers out.

A little background about Tohr: Tohr, as we know lost his shellan and unborn child. All throughout earlier books we see his character struggle while trying to find the means to keep on living after such a great loss.

Lover Reborn is the story of Tohr and NoOne and a great addition to the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series. In this installment of the BDB, there is a lot going on. Lover Reborn brings excitement and it certainly doesn’t fall short in the action. I usually enjoy how comical and “real” some of the scenes feel. J.R. as usual has a knack for writing humorous scenes and she does it well. The action in this book isn’t lacking, there is plenty of fighting and as usual the sex scenes keeps this read quite HOT.

There are a few things I loved about the book, one being that we get to know a lot more about Lassiter. In this book we can now understand a lot more of what his purpose is and what he needs to accomplished. J.R. did an outstanding job with his character. His character is likeable; funny, stubborn, gentle, and he is such a smartass. So far Lassiter is one of the greatest addition to the repertoire. Another great addition is Assail, I am totally hooked on this new intriguing and fascinating character. Though we don’t know much about him yet, I know this character is going to bring the necessary a most needed spark to keep the series interesting and engaging.

This book was not so much about Torh and NoOne, but a compilation of struggles between John & Xhex, Qhuinn – Blay & Layla, and the attempt for domination by Band of Bastards. I would’ve liked No’One and Tohr relationship to be kept a bit more casual, that way they would’ve given the opportunity to build a foundation and work on their relationship.

As usual, the interaction between the brothers flows easily however I felt that some parts of the story were forced onto the reader. I struggle somewhat with the dialog, I had to keep flipping pages and there was an instance when I had to put the book down and walk away. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing; but the vocabulary and dialog between characters can get confusing. What I find a bit disappointing is the back and forth between characters whose relationship was somewhat already established.

I was never a fan of John & Xhex, I found them frustrating and annoying but I understand that’s part of the drama needed to make a good story. I didn’t shed any tears, but I was touched by how well-developed some scenes were and how touching J.R.’s writing can be. The culmination to Qhuinn – Blay & Layla’s situation is one I am looking forward to read, bringing along the Band of Bastards and their impact in the story. I am looking forward to the next book. I am hoping we don’t have to wait another year.

Overall, Lover Reborn is a great story, one that will certainly touch your heart, you may experience frustration and you will definitely laugh. The combination of all of those feelings makes Lover Reborn one of the most touching if not the most touching story of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. Highly recommended but keep an open mind.