readingdiva

ReadingDiva's Blog

The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules - Julie Kagawa ~~* Originally posted @ ReadingDiva's Blog

~~**REVIEW CONTAIN SPOILERS**~~

The Immortal Rules is an awesome mix of The Road & The Passage and I am Legend. No, I am not comparing, that isn’t the case. What I am trying to say is that the world Julie Kagawa has created is one that tests human nature to its limits and brings out the best and worst of humanity.

This story has awesome characters, fantastic plot and an outstanding writing style that will leave you craving for more. This isn’t your typical vampire love story; if you are looking for a Bell/Edward sort of situation, this isn’t the book for you.

"Just know that, whatever you choose, you will die today. The manner of your death, however, is up to you."

This story is set in a post-apocalyptic US where humans have succumb to a virus that have threaten to destroy humanity and vampires alike. The plot is intense, enticing & engaging. It comes all together in a story that will keep you glued to the pages and you will not want to put it down. Mrs. Kagawa is able to create a world in which humans are considered cattle; their importance is that of an animal and a source of food. This is a story of survival, love, change & adaptability. I can safely say that the complexity of this story is what makes it different and amazing. I have yet to read a YA novel with the intensity level of The Immortal Rules. If you think The Passage, The Road & I am legend were amazing stories, then you will love The Immortal Rules.

"It makes no difference who we are, where we come from. Princes, Masters and rabids alike, we are monsters, cut off from humanity. They will never trust us. They will never accept us. We hide in their midst and walk among them, but we are forever separate. Damned. Alone. You don’t understand now, but you will. There will come a time when the road before you splits, and you must decide your path. Will you choose to become a demon with a human face, or will you fight your demon until end of time, knowing you will forever struggle alone"

The characters in the story are complex, mature & unique. Their interaction flows easily and their personality makes them intriguing. These characters are emotional, witty and caring. I totally love Allison and Zeke. It is easy to fall in-love with these two characters. Their nature brings them together but their differences push them apart. Mrs. Kagawa did a great job developing these characters; she is able to bring together all these characters that somehow complement one another. Their importance and relevance to the story are unique, each bringing the necessary spark and uniqueness that makes this story fantastic. Great read, I highly recommend it!