readingdiva

ReadingDiva's Blog

The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair

The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair - Joel Dicker **Originally posted ReadingDiva's Blog - Rating 4.5 of 5

REVIEW: When I was given the opportunity to read this book and I saw it was an international bestseller I was very excited. The moment I received the book I jumped to read it as if there wasn’t any other book in the world. I devour it and I enjoyed every sentence, paragraph and every page. The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair is a murder mystery/thriller that will keep you on the edge of your sit from beginning to end. Joel’s ingenious story telling is outstanding.

I find it very interesting when a book can convey so many different emotions in a reader, frustration, angst, uncertainty, sadness, laughter and love. All these emotions makes us who we are and even though at times we tend to avoid them, there is very little we can do when we experience them but to let them drag us wherever it is they will take us. When I started reading The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair I wasn’t sure I would experience exactly what I listed above, I thought I would be reading a murder mystery with gruesome details about the disappearance of a young girl, however, as I kept reading and reading those feelings started invading my mind and heart making me at times unable to put the book down.

The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair is ingenuous, a book that tells us the story of a struggling author trying to find his way back to writing the masterpiece he has always dream of writing, and one that will put his name back in stardom. It is also about the love affair of the great writer Harry Quebert whose life and reputation was destroyed by the discovery of a thirty three year old love affair.

While this novel doesn’t necessarily reads as a literary thriller, it does however contains criminal elements, mystery and suspense that keep the reader glue to the pages. Readers will experience thrilling enthusiasm while reading this book, the added humor gave the story the lightness that it required a times but it also gave it a sense of “real” that a lot of stories lack. The story starts with Marcus Goldman (Marcus The Magnificent) as he was known during his high school years, a young writer who is struggling to write a second book after the first book he ever wrote sent him to stardom. From the start I became a fan of Marcus, his conversations and arguments with his mother made me laugh out loud, while also giving me a sense of pity as he struggles with writers block.

His chance and inspiration comes in the form of an scandal, a scandal that would change his life and the life of his best friend and mentor Harry Quebert. Harry Quebert’s story is fantastically drafted, detailed and enigmatic, twisted and all around thrilling. When the news of Harry’s legal problems and terrible accusations hit Marcus his first thought was to run to be with his friend, without knowing that the events that followed would change his life forever. Harry Quebert became the focus of Marcus story, in his attempt and need to help his friend he started to discover everything that happened in the summer of 1975, which would soon be his new book. The new book, the story of Harry Quebert and his love Nola Kellergans a fifteen year old girl who became Harry’s inspiration for his masterpiece is tragic and mysterious. The tragedy didn’t just rumble that small town but it also destroyed the spirit of one of the greatest writers of his time. Once Marcus started his investigation, he will learn the lies, the betrayal and the dark past of his friend Harry Quebert.

This book has a fantastic plot, it has a clever dialogue and complex characters. This is exactly what distinguishes The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair from many other mystery novels of its kind. Readers will discover a fun, seductive, twisted and utterly engrossing story which will keep readers talking about it for a while.