readingdiva

ReadingDiva's Blog

Pushing the Limits

Pushing the Limits - Katie McGarry ** Originally posted @ ReadingDiva's Blog

**Contain minor spoiler**

Review: There is so much to say about this book yet I have so little to write, this story is very well written, filled with mature characters, raw emotions and an impossible love. Their difference brings them together, but love may keep them apart.

When I found this book in NetGalley I said – well let me give it a try. I am honestly skeptical about YA literature since most times I find them lacking. It is hard for me to love some of the characters I guess because I am not longer a teenager, and most times I can’t relate, but there are times when a book surprises me and I can’t help but give it the praises it deserves. Putting aside my skepticism about most YA books I must say Pushing The Limits impressed me.

This book is everything I didn’t expect it to be. It was fantastic. The plot was awesome, well developed and researched. I felt like I was reading into someone’s life, perceiving their emotions, their rage and frustrations. The story compels you to keep reading; the emotions were so raw and felt so real that I couldn’t help but feel compassion for these characters. They brought all sort of emotions from me and I admit to be a tough cookie to crack.

I was fascinated by the characters. It is often said that tough love, and the roughness of a hard life can make anyone mature, well the story of Noah & Echo does exactly that, these two characters have had it rough. The many circumstances in life have taught them that trust is earned and love doesn’t come easy.

These characters rely in one another, they share their feelings, their emotions however, their passion goes beyond the carnal desires and needs. Echo had everything she wanted until the night her life changed. She can’t remember what happened and how she woke up in the hospital injured with scars that will always hunt her, all she knows is that her life will never be the same. Noah, the strange and hot guy hasn’t had it easy either. He lost his family and he feels it was his fault, if he wouldn’t have gone out that night he wouldn’t lost his parents in that fire. His life goes from bad to worse when they take his brothers away, his only desire is to gain custody of his two brothers but in the process he meets Echo, a girl who he can relate to, a girl who has suffer as much as he has.

Their struggles and emotions were so well defined and detailed that my heart ached for them. My heart broke for Echo and Noah’s sad existence, and the possibility that they would never find love. The attraction between these two characters was so raw, emotional and much more than the usual sappy I am in love with you story line that we get to read in most YA books. This is an amazing story, well done by author Katie McGarry , she has given us one of the best YA books of 2012. I can’t wait to read more from her. I would give this story a 10 but my rating scale only goes to 5. :)