readingdiva

ReadingDiva's Blog

Release Me

Release Me - J. Kenner ** Originally posted @ SinfulReads Blog

REVIEW: When I finally got to read this book I was very excited. I know that I was going in with an open mind and the idea that I would find an original and different story. Well, that wasn’t necessarily the case. Like many other contemporary Erotica Release Me presents characters and situation that are pretty common in most the erotica coming out lately. As far as the plot, it was interesting but not different from others in the genre. Release Me follows somewhat the same path as Fifty Shades of Grey, a hot, young and intellectual man who has control issues based on childhood scars. However, I find it a bit refreshing that the female main character wasn’t innocent at all; she was witty and had playful personality that I enjoyed very much.

Damien is possessive, sexual, and overpowering. As a child his father pretty much controlled his life and he was forced to follow other’s commands. As an adult he found release in his control. Everything and everyone around Damien always did what he wanted and when he wanted. I like that in a way, because it shows his determination and dedication to the things he believed in. What I don’t like however, is his lack of communication and explanations for his reasoning and actions. I like Damien but I can’t help to compare his character to Christian of Fifty Shades of Grey.

Nikki is funny, smart and believes in individualism. I like her personality but I disagree how she handled her relationship with Damien. Nikki first met Damien during a beauty pageant that Damien was sponsoring; however he didn’t give her a second thought and moved on. While for Damien she was just another young participant, for Nikki meeting Damien was a dream, even when she only saw him for a few minutes. He made an impression on Nikki and stayed in her mind ever since. I like the way Nikki’s strong personality handled certain situations in her professional life, however her infatuation with Damien didn’t seat well with me. Nikki was more preoccupied on saving Damien, than saving herself. Her inability to confront her demons (mother) brought me border line mad. I believe in strong women and though Nikki was professionally strong, as a person she was somewhat weak. I thought she would be able to stand up for herself and put her mother in her place.

What I liked about the story, the sex, the passion, the games, the pampering. Damien is a sex god and knows how to make a woman moan. Nikki wasn’t afraid to show Damien her need and desire for him, she took delight in their encounters and even encouraged him to go out of the ordinary. Sexually they were matched made in heaven, emotionally not so much. Both characters have issues to handle and both characters need more than just the sex; however they use it as a coping mechanism and a way to find connection. These two characters rocked the bed, the walls, the car and the window. I enjoy those scenes and I think the author did a pretty good job describing them and crafting the scenes.

What I hope to see in the next book: I want to see a more open relationship between Nikki & Damien; I want to see more participating from Nikki, really just laying there isn’t fun in sex lol. Though Nikki enjoyed Damien’s protection I also think she felt overwhelmed. Damien needs to open up about his feelings, about his childhood issues and his daddy issues. I want to see Nikki tell her mom off, I want to see Nikki more concern about her life professionally. The sex in this story rocked, it was good and it was detailed, overall Release Me is a good story, but not a five devils story. Readers who enjoy Fifty Shades of Grey will enjoy Release Me. I recommend it if you do not mind plot similarities with Fifty Shades. I am looking forward to book #2 Claim Me scheduled to release July 2013.