readingdiva

ReadingDiva's Blog

Dualed

Dualed - Elsie Chapman * Originally Posted @ ReadingDiva's Blog - Rating 3.5 *

REVIEW: When I came across this book on NetGalley I was very excited. I liked the description and I was looking forward to a read that had somewhat the same theme as the Hunger Game. Survival at all cost. Dualed is set in a society in which everyone has a double or an Alt. Though the idea of having another You is scary to say the least in Dualed is pretty much the norm. The only thing is that no two Alt can survived.

West is a 15 year old girl who has lost a lot in her short life, she lost her parents, her brother and younger sister. She is left with only one person who she feels she has to protect and lover overall. Her brother and her are all is left from their family. Everything changes the day her brother best friends become an active, at that moment their adventure start.

What I liked about this book is the unique and interesting topic, Alt are not clon they are two people who are born from the same DNA at the same time. Both are identical but with different personalities and parents. Each Alt grows in different “societies” with their respective families as well as under different social status. The plot is interesting; once the Alt reaches a certain age they are active which in terms sets a timer. This timer sets in motion a plot to eliminate their Alt. Both have the same finality and that is of surviving. I liked how well thought out the story was, I liked how nicely the world building spread out around the story and how well defined their levels and status was set.

The story goes about how West focused on helping her brother’s friend who has just become an active, an active must eliminate their Alt within certain amount of time otherwise they are both eliminated (detonated) finalizing the hunt and pray game for both alt. The story takes a turn when an accident occurs and her brother dies, that’s when West courage & resolved are tested. Her idea of being the worthy and the one becomes shady and she finds herself having to make decisions that will forever change her. West character had many flaws; her ability to understand the changes that were now happening was minimal. Though she knew that once becoming an active you must act towards eliminating the alt, her priority changes and she becomes the pray while hunting other actives’ alt. Her decision to become a striker caught me by surprise. I wanted to like West, but I couldn’t. She was immature and though I understand her insecurities and concerns I was aggravated by her lack of understanding of the situation she was in. From the moment you are born you grow with the knowledge that one day you will have to fight for your life, yet West decides to run while doing for others what she should’ve done for herself. She becomes a striker (a killer by hire) she takes jobs to eliminate other people’s alts while running from her own. I don’t know if I cared for how she handled her situation. I think the story would’ve been a lot better if the author had decided to create a stronger character. The action was entertaining, the twist and turns added the necessary ingredients to make it a page turner; however the character development kept me from enjoying it 100%.

I think the story over all was nice but it lacked the wow factor. The characters were nice and likeable, they weren’t extraordinaire but they were entertaining. This book will be a good fit for readers who enjoy books and series such as The Hunger Games. Do not expect an amazing love story, because there isn’t a good foundation for one, but expect great friendship and sacrifices, and a few found love. It is a HEA story but I am not a fan of teenage love stories, they lack passion and strong foundation. I recommend this book, it is a nice story but do not expect The Hunger Games.