readingdiva

ReadingDiva's Blog

Dare You To

Dare You To - Katie McGarry **Originally posted @ ReadingDiva's Blog **

REVIEW : This is the 2nd book I read by Katie McGarry and it certainly will not be the last. I have come to love her writing style, and her stories are in more than one way heartfelt. Dare You To is the story of Beth Risk, the broken 17 year old girl who has only known disappointment and bitterness. I was absolutely heart broken while reading Beth’s story. This is not just any story, this is the story that one can easily see on the news and perhaps the story that many people have lived.

For Ryan it all started with a dare, but for Beth it had already started. Though some may find this story unrealistic, one could argue that the reality of Beth’s story can be found in many of us. Not necessarily for the same circumstances but perhaps for the feelings and experiences. This story exploit the reality that is it for many an every day occurrence. There is one thing certain, that this story broke my heart, in every page I found pain, in every sentence I found negligence and in every word I found abuse. Those are things that make us human and Katie McGarry did an amazing job bringing the subjects and her characters to life.

The depth in which she brings her characters to life and expose their feelings showing their most and inner secrets is unbelievable. This story is raw, deep and extremely engaging. Many people experience a different reality, for many Beth’s story hits closer to home that we may ever know, there is no way anyone can read this story and not feel connected to Beth one way or another. If not by her pain and dreadful reality, perhaps by her emotions and ability to love as deeply as her soul would allow. Her faults made her an amazing character and her emotions made her feel real. I can’t find the words to say how much I enjoyed this book. Though the story is sad I can tell you it is an eye opener because it not only shows the struggles of the main character it also shows her growth as a person and as a woman who only wants to find a bit of happiness through her bitter and painful existence.

Ryan was phenomenal, his understanding and support made me want to appreciate him even more. Though his reality is quite different from Beth’s his feelings and emotions aren’t any less. His pain and reality isn’t as bitter as Beth’s but his pain is perhaps as deep. The drama behind this book, the subject of the matter and the characters made this book a one of the kind. The raw emotions, their uncertainty and the exploration and new possibilities made Dare You To the best YA book I have read this year so far. I can’t commended it enough. This is a well written book that I think should be read by anyone who appreciates emotional stories filled with raw and heart felt characters whose bitter reality will leave your heart beating a bit faster. A story that promises light at the end of the tunnel. Katie McGarry made me like Beth when I thought I wouldn’t. Awesome story, and an unbelievable emotional roller-coaster. A well deserve 5 hearts