readingdiva

ReadingDiva's Blog

Review: Avenge Me

Avenge Me - Maisey Yates

REVIEW: The title of a book should always entice readers to open the book, that’s exactly what happened when I saw Avenge Me by Maisey Yates. The title said READ ME and I was not able to walk away after that. I started reading the book with zero expectations  hoping that it would surprise me and bring me excitement.

Avenge Me is the type of story that holds a unique plot and one that  teases the reader enough to keep us entertained. They say revenge is best served cold,  and that’s exactly the case in Avenge Me. What I liked about Avenge Me was the premise of the story. The plot is quite interesting, not necessarily complex but it is entertaining nevertheless.

Avenge Me shows us the injustice forced upon Sarah a girl who found herself involved with the wrong person and ended up costing her her life, by giving us the heroic and selfless actions of a lawyer who fight to protect and advocate for women’s rights and safety. Yet it also exposes the reality that comes with power and that in many cases overshadow the true intentions of the anti-hero.  Though the story doesn’t give a lot of details to start with, one can easily deduct from the first few chapters that the characters were very involved and connected in many ways which in terms made a lot of the outcome  predictable.

The story lacks surprise and suspense which is something I have come to expect in this type of stories. However, the story does go into revealing who is responsible and who will take charge into making those involved pay in ways they wish never to experience. The main characters are introduced early in the story, their role are defined and presented with ease while letting us know who will form alliances, who is going to demand justice and who will find ways in which make the responsible pay.

I liked most of the characters, they have potential, however the plot left me wanting and waiting for that point where hell breaks loose and your are left gasping for air. The point of surprise never came and I was left waiting for a climax that was not going to happen. Don’t get me wrong, not everything is lost in this story. The chemistry between the characters is flawless and enticing. The dialog didn’t feel pushed or rushed and they had a simple yet easy voice that made them all quite likeable.

Austin is handsome, intelligent and the  man any woman would love to have by her side.  He is hunted by the death of his dear friend and feel responsible for all she suffered. Austin has a great personality and that’s one thing I think readers will find appealing about him. He is caring and sensible yet strong and imposing. I think Austin is what makes this story more interesting. His connection to the anti-hero makes him vulnerable but not at one instance he loses his predominance and control, I think he makes the story whole.

Katy is likeable, she demands justice for her sister and she would not rest until getting it done and making the person responsible pay. She would do anything to make sure this happen, even if she has to form an alliance with the least of people. While I think Katy is strong, sweet and intuitive I also think she come across as inexperience, driven by her rage and hate. I liked how mature she was but I was left feeling that she could’ve been a better character. Her decisions are at times rushed and not always thought-out and that could put her need and desire for revenge in jeopardy.

Overall Avenge Me is a good story, I liked the writing style and I think the series has great potential.  It has the ingredients I look to find in dark romance, passion, power-hungry characters, sensibility, understanding, sex and unabashedly desire. I think the premise is there, though not execute to its full potential. I will read the other two books in the series because I want to see how far this revenge goes and how it all unfolds. But If like me you enjoy character driver stories you will also  hope that the other characters in the story are better develop.

Source: http://readingdiva.com/review-avenge-me-by-maisey-yates