readingdiva

ReadingDiva's Blog

Before the Darkness (Refuge Inc.) (Volume 1)

Before the Darkness (Refuge Inc.) (Volume 1) - Leslie Lee Sanders Orginally posted @ ReadingDiva's Blog - Rating 3 of 5

REVIEW: Review: This is the first book I read by Leslie Lee Sanders. I was very interested in reading it when I saw the genre was dystopia and since I dedicated this month to all Dystopia I said why not add this one to the list of my reads. Before The Darkness is nice story that develops after an asteroid strikes Earth and leaves very few survivors or at least that’s what is expected. The story develops fast as the characters embarque in an adventure to find more survivors and help.

There is very little information about the catastrophe all it is known is that Phoenix has been totally destroyed and that there may be no survivors with the exception of Elliot & Adam. These two characters are quite different but they both share their familiar tragedies. Elliot is gay, he has always felt alienated by his family, unwanted and unloved.

Adam fighting his own demons and on a total denial that he is gay. As much as he battles this fact he always comes back to feel that same attraction he felt during his high school years when he experimented with other men, he is also coming to accept that his previous relationship was based on a lie. After the asteroid hit and destruction took over his world, he met Elliot and together they go into an adventure to find Refuge Inc.

As much as I wanted to like these characters relationship I just couldn’t. Their relationship felt a bit forced and though I understood Adam’s concerns, feelings and even his hesitation I couldn’t grasp the idea of a relationship developing under such circumstances. Elliot, I like him but I don’t understand his hostility and lack of understanding. As a gay man he knows from experience how difficult and critical it is for a man to accept his sexuality or for others do to so as well.

Elliot’s whining and complaining about Adam not accepting who he is was not only annoying but quite disappointing. Elliot aggravated me, he was a bit weak not just of heart but weak as a man. His lack of understanding about Adam’s feelings were not only selfish but needy. I enjoy the book, not so much the character’s relationship, yet I am looking forward to reading book 2.

Leslie Lee Sanders is an author you want to keep your eyes on. Refuge Inc. is a very promising series, it has the necessary ingredients to become a hit. If you enjoy sexy men, great adventure and sexual awakening then this is the book for you.