readingdiva

ReadingDiva's Blog

Mystic City

Mystic City - Theo Lawrence ** Originally posted @ ReadingDiva's Blog - Rating 4.5 of 5 **

REVIEW: When I came across this book I was hypnotized by the beauty of its cover, yes again I fell for the cover. What’s better than finding a book with an awesome cover? Finding out that the story is as awesome as the book cover.

Mystic City is a fast paced, Dystopia like, futuristic story that kept me turning page after page. The action happens in Manhattan. New York City has succumb to the climate change & global warming. Water over run the city, while society has moved to a higher grounds leaving behind those less unfortunate and a human like species with great power called the Mystic.

You may ask yourself, what’s so great and different about this book from others of the same genre? Well, this Dystopia take on Romeo & Juliet is a nicely written story that will keep you on the edge of the seat until you have read the last page. Manhattan is now ruled by two dangerous and rich families, each family runs a side east & west respectively. While there isn’t a central government both families have a good hold on their side and are more than able to overcome any obstacle that gets in their way. Though the origin of the Mystic people isn’t well explained they seem to have been part of society for a long time. It is unknown to the reader where they originated, but do not let that little bit of uncertainty fool you, the mystery behind their origin is what I think push me to keep reading.

The conspiracy keeps building as we learn about why the mystic are secluded, their power/energy keeps the city moving and it is that power that becomes the main reason why both families find themselves uniting forces and working together towards total Mystic elimination. The story then goes into showing how divided the city is, telling us and showing how much control each side has and what crimes are done in the name of maintaining control.

We are later introduced to Hunter & Aria, the two characters that will later prove that love has no boundaries and knows no difference. Their romance, interaction and dialog were very sweet and heartfelt. I think of all the Dystopia books I read this year, Hunter & Aria are my favorite couple. Hunter is smart and caring while Aria is sweet and loving. Though separated by conflicts and lies, their love and loyalty is strong. The description of fights and scenery was awesome; Theo Lawrence imaginative and inventive way of storytelling is fantastic. This book put my imagination to work. I am looking forward to reading more about Mystic City. I can’t wait to see what happens with Hunter & Aria and what new fights & conflicts they will have to overcome. Awesome read!