readingdiva

ReadingDiva's Blog

Behind His Eyes - Consequences

Behind His Eyes - Consequences - Aleatha Romig **Originally posted @ ReadingDiva's Blog - Rating 4.5 of 5**

REVIEW: If like me you have a love/hate relationship with Tony then you will understand where I come from. Tony Rawlings is one of those characters you can’t help but to love and hate and at times fantasize about. He has slowly gained the appreciation, respect, the love of many readers.

When I was first introduced to Consequences (Book #1) I was baffled, overwhelmed and plain flat speechless at the complexity, twisted and out of this world plot. Not only were we put against one of the strongest characters I have ever read, but I was also forced to choose sides even when I didn’t want to. I was played, I was blind sided, I was exposed and left licking my wounds.

“The first option is a two-week time-out in your suite.” Suddenly, the fire was back. She glared, stood, and met his face-to-face. God, her strength captivated him. The defeat was gone. If there was a punishment coming, she wanted to choose. “Then I choose number two.”

“Very well, undress.”

Behind His Eyes shows us Tony Rawlings from the only side we can see him, his eyes. He is the only one capable of showing us the man he truly was while daring us to judge him. Aleatha Romig has proven to be one of a kind writer. She has been able to twist our guts and heart in ways many of us didn’t think possible. Her creativity is out of this world, the way in which she crafted this story was manipulative, extremely detailed, realistic and all around fantastic. Each of the characters were given a strong voice, each providing us with feelings, emotions and reactions totally unexpected. I am one of those people who read stories with an open mind, at times giving the bad guy my heart and understanding. Tony was a hard sale, he manipulated our judgement, at times allowed us to draw conclusions while maintaining certain control. I mean what character you read is capable of doing that? Only Tony Rawlings.

There are stories that stay with us for a long time and Consequences is one of them. Behind His Eyes show us the consequences in a whole new perspective and under a whole new light, it shows us how each and every one of Claire’s actions impacted him. Reading his reactions and thoughts was eye opener, it showed us how deep it affected him. I don’t sympathize with many of the things he did, but it put things in perspective and at times it sort of give the impression that he was suffering, showing us a different side to him, showing us the struggles between his heart and mind. Assuming he had a heart at the time.

“Damn you Claire.” He pulled her close. “I make snap decisions based on the visible evidence. Appearances are important. I assume you had something planned with Sue-something I hadn’t approved. I was wrong. Your speech,” he lifted her chin, gently this time, as his tone softened, “was very brave.” He watched her expression. “It helped me see that I’d jumped to the wrong conclusion.”

Overall, Behind His Eyes gives us a very vulnerable Tony, yet strong and in control, depicting a man we wouldn’t think existed while reading Consequences. It was exciting, overwhelming and flat out fascinating to have been in his head, to see his reasoning and the justifications from his point of view. I can’t wait to read what awaits us in Behind His Eyes (Truth).