readingdiva

ReadingDiva's Blog

Review: Lock In by John Scalzi

Lock In - John Scalzi

REVIEW: Lock In is the first book I read by John Scalzi, not only was I very intrigued by the book cover but also by the story line. There is something to be said about a book that entertains you while it teaches you. That’s how I felt about Lock In, the narrative, the plot line and the characters make this book a page turner and one that should be added to your priority reading list. If you aren’t into Thrillers then I suggest you give this book a chance. It is intricate, well researched and beautifully crafted.

A virus spreads around the world with flu like symptoms, however the consequences of this illness are far worse than those of the flu. The disease spreads around the world forcing those affected by it to live in a vegetate state while fully aware of the world around them but unable to move or live a normal life, keeping them Lock In. After years of suffering the Haden’s Syndrome as known years later has been contained and those Lock In have been given a chance to live in a different type of world. A world that does not require them to walk or even be awake.

The author creates a world where the Lock In have the opportunity to exist in a virtual world, one that could be explained as what we know today as the cloud, however, more intricate, with virtual communities and interaction that replaces that of the actual world without making it any less human or obscure but a lot more complex. The plot brings the subject of humanity and its need to make distinctions and set differences between what we consider unique or normal. The Haden’s as they were later referred and known to the world were kept in a different category, regardless of their social status. I enjoyed how well the author was able to detailed the Haden community, and how they were able to maintain their humanity even after their unusual integration to the world.

Lock In flows beautifully, the author present us with a very intricate and well develop story that holds the reader’s attention until the very last page. From the Integrators, the human subjects capable of connecting with the Haden by switching on and off their subconscious allowing the Haden to use their body to corporate & scientific conspiracy. The author mastered the way in which he tells this story. The science behind it, the conspiracy and the different aspect in which the characters interact and work around each other is beautifully crafted. I enjoyed every aspect of these characters, from the rookie FBI agent Sean to the already experience agent Vann who in her own way finds herself admiring his investigative skills.

This story is quite innovative, the science behind it well thought out and researched. The way in which the narrative flows feels at times as if the characters were speaking to the reader, bringing them up to date with what was happening behind the scenes. I really enjoyed the quality of the narrative. This story has it all, conspiracy, suspense, power and money hungry villains and beautifully crafted characters that will put you on the scene while giving you the ability to come up with your own conclusions

Source: http://readingdiva.com/review-lock-in-by-john-scalzi